top of page

F-1 Visas


An F-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued by a United States Consulate abroad to an alien who plans to come to the United States to pursue full-time studies at a U.S. educational school or institution. Generally, the U.S. Consular Office has total discretion to grant or deny the visa.  Foreign students who wish to obtain an F-1 visa must plan to pursue a full course of study in an approved college, university, seminary, conservatory, academia high school, private elementary school, other academic institution, and/or language training program in the United States. 

 F-1 status is a nonimmigrant status issued by the USCIS  to the alien student who is pursuing studies in the U.S. To obtain the F-1 status, an alien who is outside the US needs to first apply for an F-1 visa at their local US Consulate abroad. On the day that the alien is admitted into the U.S. on an approved F-1 visa, he/she becomes an F-1 status holder. For those who are already in the United States on another non-immigrant status, such as B-1/B-2, H-1, etc., they may apply to change to F-1 status in the U.S. or outside the U.S. through Third Country Visa processing. (For aliens who are subject to the J-1 two-year foreign residency requirement, the only option for change of status is via Third Country Visa processing.) 

The spouse and/or unmarried, minor children of F-1 holders are eligible to come to the United States on an F-2 Visa, if they are able to demonstrate that the F-1 student has been admitted and is, or will be within 30 days, enrolled in a full-course of study, or engaged in approved practical training following completion of studies. F-2 Visa holders are considered the dependents of F-1 students; furthermore, F-2 holders must be issued an individual SEVIS Form I-20 and may remain in the U.S. as long as the principal F-1 student maintains valid status. 

bottom of page